As full service public art consultants, Cobalt Connects works with clients from initial project conception through to installation to ensure that the project is not only completed on time and on budget but that it has lasting meaning and relevance to the community.
Public art projects are often complex, involving many stakeholders ranging from artists to engineers and fabricators. We make the process seamless by acting as the translator and connector between all of the different parties.
- Public Art Plan Development: working with project staff and other stakeholders, Cobalt will develop a public art plan that carefully considers the site. In addition to clearly outlining artwork specifications and site requirements, the plan will include curatorial directives that will guide artwork selection. This will ensure that the public art complements the site and aligns with the values of the community.
- Work Flow Planning: working with project staff, Cobalt will create a detailed workflow outlining every step of the process.
- Artist Selection: Depending on the needs of the project, artists could be selected through direct commission, closed call or open call. In either case, Cobalt will develop and issue a comprehensive Request for Proposals document for the project. Cobalt has an extensive network and database of both local and international artists to draw upon to attract the right artists to this project. Cobalt will manage all aspects of any required juried process to aid in artist selection.
- Fabrication Management: Once the artist(s) has been selected, Cobalt will act as the primary point of contact between the artist and the client. This typically includes working with the artist to develop a detailed technical design and stamped engineer drawings, development of an installation plan and overseeing the fabrication process to ensure that the project remains on track.
- Installation Management: Once an installation plan is in place, Cobalt will liaise between the artist and client on all matters relating to the installation such as the construction of below-grade foundations, equipment needs, installation timing, etc. Cobalt will be on-site for the duration of all installations to ensure the process runs smoothly.
- Maintenance: The long-term care and maintenance of public art is an often overlooked but essential part of the public art process. Cobalt will ensure that the artwork meets a high standard quality that will ensure its longevity. A detailed conservation and maintenance manual will be provided to staff at project close.